Friday, October 12, 2007

5 female-fronted bands you probably never heard but you should have.

Saying I'm a big fan of female-fronted bands is a bit of an understatement. I love them. Part of me is still stuck in the 90's-era girl power mood created by the Spice Girls (I am never ashamed to admit that I love them). With radio gone mainstream it's difficult to find a station with female-fronted bands. I mean, how many times do we have to hear "Hey There Delilah" or "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?"
Fortunately with the help of a cassette adapter and my iPod I can listen to what I want, and by I want I mean these 5 female fronted bands in no particular order.. (Thank God for iPods otherwise if I still listened to C.D's, they'd be scratched from how many times I've played them.)




When I first heard Flyleaf was a Christian band I was turned off by them even though I had never heard any of their songs. Once I listened to their EP I was immediately a fan. Lacey Mosley's voice is hauntingly sweet. She has a very soft voice but can at the same time do that rocker scream you would expect from hardcore metal bands. Each of their songs has a message. Even if you're not religious you are bound to relate to their music, after all I did! You can listen to some of their songs on their myspace. Definitely listen "Fully Alive" and "All Around Me" to hear Lacey's voice in action.

You know when you're bored and you go on Myspace and click through people's top friends to see where they lead to? That's what I did when I was on Evanescence's myspace and clicked on Stefy. I was drawn to their song Chelsea and thought it sounded strangely familiar. I then realized that they had sampled the popular Eurythmics song "Sweet Dreams". They're definitely not afraid to use synthesizer in their songs.. Give C'helsea" and "Fool for Love" a listen.

When I think of indie college music Rilo Kiley comes to mind. Maybe it's because I first heard them on the MTVU playlist but nonetheless they are awesome.
Quite possibly the best band name I've ever heard; Morningwood. Morningwood's music is the type that makes you take of your clothes and run around naked in your room singing their songs. I first heard of them when their song "Nth Degree" was featured on a commercial for the gay network Logo. I was hooked on that song and I wanted more. The logical place to look was on myspace and their I discovered the rest of their music. Each one of their songs is perfect for any activity that you do. Give "Jetsetter" and "Nth Degree" a listen.
So I first heard of Killola when their music was featured in an awesome lesbian-noir short series Girltrash. A modern-day Blondie for the era. Killola is definitely a band you you have to listen to if you want to let your hair down and with your brush disguised as a microphone just thrash in front of the mirror. I should warn you that if you listen to them on public transportation you are bound to get strange looks from passenger for you random head banging (trust me). Lisa is definitely reminiscent of Debbie Harry and certainly brings all her girl power into the bands' songs. They did have their first album for free on their myspace but you should check to make sure. Give "Barrel of Donkeys" a listen.

1 Comments:

At January 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Blogger amendoeira said...

i know some more:

metal bands like
Otep
Arch Enemy
Walls ofJericho
Kittie
Nightwish
Lacuna Coil
Epica
Tristania

and
Paramore
The Gift (awesome Portuguese band)

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home