Saturday, October 13, 2007

Mainstream curiousity killed the bisexual.

By now I'm sure some of you have heard of the reality show "A shot at love with Tila Tequila". If you haven't the basic jist of it is this; there's 16 men AND women who vye for Tila's love.





Oh joy, lesbian visibility. Equality! Groundbreaking! Entertaining!

um, no...

Everytime someone asks me if I'm going to watch the show I reply with "-sigh-, I dunno" and I really couldn't articulate why but fortunately for me, my LGBT class helps me put words to my perspective.





What I don't like about the show is that it puts a definite line between masculinity and femininity. It puts sexuality into a binary system. It's obvious that this show is not at all targeted towards an LGBT audience. It's like a "lesbianism for beginners" show. It only portrays the lesbians as being the femme-type. There were two butch girls on their but they were immediately kicked off.




We live in a social patriarchy, without a doubt. And to men (I speaking in generalized terms here) a "real woman" is a sex object. So in turn, the butch woman, since she is not considered a sex object by men she is not a real woman, and it's cool for men to call them butch, dyke, lesbo, if they see the femmes on the show call them that.



BTW RED SOX JUST WON!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home